Monday 9 January 2017

8th January A Big Day Out Grantown on Spey


Up bright and early to make a packed lunch and leave before daybreak.  I was travelling west some eighty miles to Grantown on Spey with a magnificent sunrise in the rear view mirror.

My target was some Hawfinches that have taken up winter residence tin the trees on the banks of the river Spey.  Approaching the town on the A95 from Aberlour you turn right at the roundabout where it meets the A939.  You are now in Speybridge.  The car park is immediately on the left.  From there you walk into Speybridge, a small collection of quite big houses to the river.  Access to the river is down some wooden steps and you follow it down stream for about a mile ( Grid Ref: NJ045112 26623).  The Hawfinches are in the larches on your left (if you are lucky) because they have been known to go further down stream or to cross to the other side of the river.

This is the route I took but no Hawfinches.  So I crossed the river and explored the other bank.  There were lots of Chaffinches trying to confuse me.  But no Hawfinch.  Back I went to the North bank to try my luck again.  This time I met a fellow birdwatchers on the same mission.  He had seen a Hawfinch consorting with Redwing and Fieldfare about a mile further down stream.  So off I went.  I met a birdwatching couple who had travelled up from Stonehaven to stay a few days.  They had seen the finches yesterday but not today.

Not to be put off I continued my walk and met another couple of birdwatchers.  Yes they had seen the Redwings and Fieldfares.  No they had not seen a Hawfinch.  I decided to carry on.

Now all this walking and not seeing Hawfinches was not without its compensations.  The river held quite a few Dipper, Mallard, Goosander and Goldeneye.  I missed getting a clear shot of one Dipper with a large grub of some sort.  I did get some other Dipper photos.

Dipper
 Dipper (this one was seeing of rival from its territory)

On the South side of the river I came across a Siskin.  Back on the North bank I also found a small flock of Long-tailed Tits that spent most of their time with me hiding in the twigs and branches, but another bird to tick. There was however no sign of the Redwing or Fieldfare.  It was about then I decided to turn back I was tired and hungry.  Now there is a lesson learnt.  I had left my packed lunch in the car expecting I would be back before midday.  I should have taken it with me. I will next time.

Long-tailed Tit
Back to the Larches scanning the trees all the time with nothing more than Chaffinches and a Great Spotted Woodpecker (another year tick).  There I sat on a rock still scanning the trees and yes finally I saw at least two Hawfinches.


So mission accomplished I went back to the car and a late lunch.  Before heading home I went into Grantown on Spey for petrol and provisions.  Looking up from the car park I saw a Sparrowhawk soaring effortlessly above my head.  Suddenly a flock of up to fifty jackdaws rose up from trees all around and mobbed the poor Sparrowhawk until it left town.  A dramatic end to a good days birdwatching.

By the way the sunset in the rear view mirror on the way home was every bit as spectacular as the mornings sunrise.

Total on the list  78

No comments:

Post a Comment