Saturday 7 January 2017

7th January 2017 Loch of Strathbeg



It was off the the Loch of Strathbeg after breakfast and the morning chores.  Today I went the Fen and Bay Hides.  Unlike the Tower Pool hide and Starnafin Visitors Centre these look out onto the Loch itself.  Fen hide is in the reed beds that fringe the Loch.   There was hardly a breath of wind and the wide expanse of water was flat and rippled.

Goosander 
 

But it was remarkably quiet.  The vast reafts of Wigeon that I expected were not there, there were a couple od Mute Swans any way over on the far side of the Loch some Whooper Swans.   Right in front of the hide there was ...nothing until a Goosander drifted past, then a couple of Malards. Oh and a Moorhen.  

There was only one other bird watcher and she got a phone call had had to leave.  On her way out she gave my some hand warmers.  I had seen them in the shops of course but never seen or used them.  They are very good at their job.  I am writing this about eight hours later and they are still warm. 

All the activity as on the other side of the Loch about half a mile away.  Mallards, Teal, Wigeon and Pintails were skulking in the reeds but came out quickly when an otter crused past.  All this I was abe to see through my 'scope and far to far away to attempt a pgotograph.  But I did and it doesn't show much at all.

There is an Otter there I promise.

The other bit of excitment was a Water Rail that flew across the gap in the reeds in front of the hide.

On the way home I stopped at the Visitor Center and it was the same story.  Just a coulpe of bird watchers and very little activity on the pools.  It was different at the bird feeders.  They were full of finches and sparrows with Woodpigeon, Collared Dove, Blackbirds Robins and Dunnocks picking up the scraps on the ground.  Just like the feeders at home but without the starlings.  I did manage to add some birds to the list so that is ticking along nicely. 

                                       Moorhen
 Grenfinch
                                                                                    Goosander













Totl on List 72

No comments:

Post a Comment