Tuesday 3 January 2017

1st January Loch of Strathbeg

Traditionally bird watchers start a year list with as many birds as possible on the 1st January.  This means cutting back on the Hogmany celebrations in order to get up early and be in a fit state to see and record the birds you see.  My New Years Day birding was at the Loch of Strathbeg only three miles from home.  The Loch of Strathbeg is an RSPB reserve. I was surprised that there were so few people there. No one was in the visitors centre when I got there, no one was in the Tower Pool hide.  I exchanged a 'Happy New Year' with a couple walking their dogs. and that was it until I went back to the centre. I met Tim and Joy, fellow bird watchers who were on there way to the hide.  On my advice that there was nothing of note to be seen they turned back and we went to the visitors centre.  I hope I was right and that Tim didn't miss anything. Tim is regarded in these parts a an expert.  His advice on identification of strange birds is often sought and, it has to be said given without being asked if something is wrongly identified in a Facebook post.  Something that I must admit I have done from time to time.   Back at the visitor centre Mark and his 'wee lad' were there. Mark is another ace birdwatcher of the 'parish'.  He is the 'leader' of the RSPB Aberdeen And District Local Group.

I recorded 32 different birds at Strathbeg.  Top of the list was a Hen Harrier a bird I saw just once last year in February.

                                       Reed Bunting. Loch of Strathbeg 1/1/2017

From there I was directed by Mark to the location of some Bean Geese just a couple of miles away and more or less on my way home.  I found them but by this time the weather was so bad it was impossible to get a photo.

Tolal on list 33

No comments:

Post a Comment