Sunday 26 February 2017

Round up of the Week

I have only one more bird to add to the list this week. Here it is:-

Lesser Redpoll
This photo is actually one of a pair that were in the garden last summer.  One was in garden briefly on Wednesday.  I wonder if it is one of last years?  They have a great liking for Niger Seed.  The other birds returning to the garden after a winter of absence were a pair of Siskins, they too like Niger Seed but also take Sunflower Seed Hearts.

Two Siskins and Three Goldfinches

The fact that there is only one new bird on the year list is not through lack of effort.  On Sunday I had a good morning at the Loch of Strathbeg, no new birds but a good assortment nonetheless.

On Tuesday I went on a hunt for a Brambling and a Great Grey Shrike.  It had been reported that these were in nearby locations up the Dee Valley near Drumoak.  The Brambling should have been in the grounds of Drum Castle.  I searched two tracts of woodland, one predominantly broad leaf the other coniferous.  Both were quiet with only a few common woodland birds to be found.... and a Red Squirrel

Red Squirrel
I thought I had good instructions about how to get to where the Great Grey Shrike was last located.  I was wrong.  I am sure I started out in the right direction but was hopelessly lost when I was supposed to follow the deer fence.  The directions did not say which way.  I tried both but could not find any of the landmarks the I was told to expect.  I did find a large flock of flighty Reed Buntings and a little gang of Bullfinches.  These stayed around just long enough for me to get a photo.
Six Bullfinches
Another consolation was that I was not so lost that I couldn't retrace my steps and get back to the car.

It was reported that the bird had indeed been seen that day and some different direction were posted.

On Thursday I went with Jill to Fraserburgh Esplanade and was surprised to find a Glaucous Gull on the beach.  One for Jill's life list!
Glaucous Gull

Undaunted by Tuesdays failure I set out again on Friday.  This time the directions made sense.  Park on the road and follow the track down to the locked deer fence (a different one form Tuesdays), negotiate the obstacle, (this meant climbing over a six foot plus wooden fence) and continue along the track to the end where there are ruined buildings under the electricity pylons.  The post also warned about the wet ground underfoot.  I was prepared I had my wellington boots.  Between Tuesday and Friday we had had the effects of Storm Doris. Here in Aberdeenshire it was no where near as bad as most of the other country but it had deposited a sprinkling of snow in the Dee Valley.  As the sun rose it did make for magnificent views

Mither Tap catching the early morning sun

It also made the track I was to follow a little trickier


There was quite a bit of bird life around including Long-tailed Tits, Great Spotted Woodpeckers drumming, Buzzard, Goldcrests and Bullfinches. Most stayed well out of camera range and view.
Goldcrest

Buzzard


I didn't find the Great Grey Shrike and there have been no further reports, but I did find a hole in my wellington boots.  The water in track was cold, very very cold.

Total on list 123

1 comment: