Saturday 18 February 2017

Auld Reekie

15th February.  Today was a day for the children and grandchildren.  But as we had planned to meet at 10.00 I had time to do a bit of Edinburgh birding.  My hotel was just across the road from the Botanic Gardens but they did not open until 10.00 so I had to look for birds elsewhere.  Breakfast at 8.00 and off to Duddingston Loch in Holyrood Park.  I had been told how to use my phone as a sat nav system (pity no one told me about that the day before) so finding it was not a problem.  Getting access to see what was on the Loch was a problem though.  At Balgavies the day before there was a path all round the Loch.  Here the only way I could find to get near gave a view of just part of the water and no way of getting round.  I walked round one side and found a locked gate and a sign saying that the Scottish Wildlife Trust reserve of Bawsinch was not open to the public.

I was able to see some of the bird life.  There was an impressive heronry.  The nests were low down some only a few feet off the ground.  There was a lot of nesting activity.

Grey Herons
I took the opportunity to photograph some more common birds
Mute Swan

Mallard
The top bird however as not on the water.  It was way up high soaring over Arthurs Seat being chased by a Jackdaw.  It was a Raven
Raven and Jackdaw
At around 10.00 we all met at the Dalkieth Country Park.  It has a very impressive play area build on a steep river bank that allowed the designers to incorporate slides, tunnels and climbing apparatus into the landscape.  The tree house has four stories!
'Fort Douglas', Dalkieth Country Park
 After lunch they went back to the play area and I went on one of the woodland walks.

 I had hoped to find a Nuthatch.  I have read that they are in the Botanic Gardens, in the city so surely they must be in the ancient oak woodland.  If there were I did not see or hear them.  I did see a Dipper and a Kingfisher
Kingfisher

Dipper
And a rather impressive bridge
Montagu Bridge, Dalkieth Country Park
No new birds but a great day out.

Total on list still 119

No comments:

Post a Comment