Wednesday 1 February 2017

Fog

Not a lot of birding today - Fogbound.  In any case I had domestic chores to do and I had to catch up with sorting (deleting) and filing all the photos I have been taking. I have up loaded the Cherry Cottage Big Garden Birdwatch results.
From 9:30 to 10:30 on Saturday the birds were recorded following the RSPB instructions.

Starling
Coal Tit

Chaffinch

Goldfinch

Tree Sparrow






























Of course I had my camera by my side as well as a notebook and pen and a cup of tea.  The birds recorded were:-
Goldfinch                       7
Starling                        33
Chaffinch                     13
Tree Sparrow               11
House Sparrow           16
Blackbird                       8
Blue Tit                          2
Great Tit                        2
Robin                             1
Dunnock                        2
Woodpigeon                  1
Carrion Crow                 2
Collared Dove               2
Coal Tit                         2
Jackdaw                       1
(The numbers are the highest number of each bird seen at one time)


I have also been looking at further trips.  In the middle of February I am going to Edinburgh to spend a day with daughters and grandchildren.  I want to be able to see thing on the journey that would be difficult or impossible to see here in the NE of Scotland.

One bird that I want to plan in the trip is a Red Kite.  Although there has been a Red Kite release scheme to the west of Aberdeen numbers are still small and there is no designated  viewing isn't like the ones in Dumfriesshire, Perthshire and the Highlands.  A couple of years ago I did see one on one of my morning walks but I can't rely on that that happening again to get the tick.

Another bird, one that doesn't live in Aberdeenshire at all, is a Nuthatch.  Their range has been extending northward for several years and they have now reached Edinburgh.  The Firth of Forth is a a good place to find wintering Grebes so if time permits they might be the subject of a search.  The Firth of Firth is a big area and I would have to be quite sure that I would find one or two.

One place I have heard a lot about and from where I have seen lots of bird  photos is  Balgavies Loch in Angus.  It may not provide any ticks but if I have time I would like to visit.  There might even be a Coot there.

   

No comments:

Post a Comment