Wednesday 29 March 2017

'I'm off to get the 'paper. I'll be back in two ticks'

This morning, like most mornings I go to the local shop in Cairnbulg to get the Press and Journal.  As usual I went from the shop to Cairnbulg Harbour to see the sea and to see what bird life is about.  This morning I did a little walk to the mouth of the Waters of Philorth because it is along here that you can find the first Sandwich terns of the summer.  And there they were two of them anyway.  In few weeks time the numbers will be up to fifty or so.  It is here that they start pairing up.  When instead of a bunch of flowers and a box of chocolates the male terns bring there intended a nice silvery sand eel.  But this morning there were just to two and they were not interacting.
Sandwich Tern
 As well as Herring Gulls and Redshanks the other resident bird is a Pied Wagtail.  While I was watching them I noticed a one had a grey back.  It was a White Wagtail.

White Wagtail
So there you are.  I got the paper and I got two ticks for my year list.

Total on list 137

No comments:

Post a Comment