Wednesday 29 March 2017

Egrets, I have a Few

Yesterday, 28th March I spent a couple of hours at the Loch of Strathbeg while Jill was planning her involvement in North East Open Studios in September.

The first bird I saw was a Sparrowhawk zipping over the reeds at Fen Hide.  The second bird was a Great White Egret on the far shore of the loch

Great White Egret
Then after scanning the water for more birds I caught sight of a Scaup.  I was able to get Scaup, Tufted Duck and Goldeneye in one frame.

L to R Goldeneye, Scaup, Goldeneye, Tufted Duck
Here is a Scaup on its own.

Scaup
The next bird to find was a Little Egret.  It was quite some way off so the photo leaves a lot to be desired

Little Egret
Alex was with me in Fen Hide.  He had already been to the Visitors Centre and seen a Great White Egret so I decided to go there and see if there were two or just one that had 'followed' Alex to the loch.

I couldn't find another Great White Egret but did find a second Little Egret.  However on reviewing my photos and Alex's it was clear the there were two GWEs.  Mine with a yellow bill is a non breeding bird. Alex's with a dark bill is in breeding condition.

Alex's Great White Egret
Total on list 135

No comments:

Post a Comment