Tuesday 17 January 2017

The Moray Coast

The Moray Firth stretches from Fraserburgh west to Inverness and the Beauly Firth then North East to Duncansby Head, near John o' Groats.  The small part I went on today was from Nairn to Lossiemouth.  Even so it was a full day.

My target bird at Nairn was a Brent Goose.  I did not see it but apparently there were 22 quite a long way west of where I was looking which was where they were yesterday!  I did however add a Hooded Crow to my list.

My next stop was Findhorn.  The intention was to find Divers and Scoters in Burghead Bay from the Findhorn dunes.  The bay seemed to me to be particularly lacking in any bird life.  Again I picked up Stonechat to add to my list but missed out on my targets.

                                                                                    Stonechat (female)










                   Stonechat (Male)












The only other thing of note was a random set of nine beach huts


It was then on to Burghead.  A few days ago a Humpbacked Whale got a lot of people travelling there.  No whale today.  Neither was there much in the way of target birds, no Divers no Scoters.  There were Eiders and Long-tailed Ducks so it wasn't as if I could see anything.  There were a couples of Long-tailed ducks in the Harbour.  I didn't mention that it was a clear and still day, much more like Spring than the middle of January.  The LTDs had the same thought and were going through some courtship activities.  It was the first time I had heard them call.  A loud and far carrying 'song' of three notes.  Follow the link to this 'You Tube' hear it for yourself.  These are the ducks I heard.  In Scotland not Alaska.

























My final stop on my tour of this part of the Moray Firth was to Lossiemouth.  Here my target was a Crested Tit.  Cresties are better known for living in the ancient Caledonian pine forests of the Highlands and Cairngorm mountains but there is a population in the coastal pine forests on this bit of the Moray coast.

Once you get used to the Tornado jet fighter 'planes flying overhead Lossiemouth is a quiet sort of place.  They did eventually stop their practising and peace reigned..

Tornado flying over Lossiemouth

The river Lossie estuary is protected from the open sea by sand dunes and on a day like today with little or no wind the water is flat calm creating reflections that many photographers enjoy.  Here are a few Lossie estuary reflections.

Little Grebe

Redshank and Dunlin


Long-tailed Duck

Lossiemouth
The Crested Tits are not difficult to find.  There is a feeding station in the middle of the woods that attracts them and other birds as well  It is a local chap that keeps the feeders topped up.  If you go there don't forget to take some bird food with you to put into the bin provided.  You can often see Red Squirrels as well, but not today.   You get really close views of the wild life at the feeding station, great for taking photos.  When I was there it was getting late in the day so light was fading fast.  My advice is to go early to catch the best of the place.

Now I say you cannot get too much of Crested Tits so I may have gone a bit over the top with these.







You will see that most of them are wearing 'jewelry', these are identification rings.  The birds are closely monitored.

I did say there were other bird using the feeding station and they deserve to have a picture posted as well

Robin  
                                          Great Tit

 Coal Tit - the most numerous bird at the feeders

              Chaffinch


       Dunnock

                                                                                               Blackbird
                                                                              Blue Tit
              
                   Long-tailed Tit



Despite not seeing the key target species it has been a good day.  Three more added to the list to reach the land mark 100.  And a lesson learnt about targeting - get some information from someone who knows the patch about where the birds rather than just blundering around the right sort of area.  As the year goes on this is going to be more important.  Today I added three birds that are either not rare or in the case of the Crested Tit well known.   There is plenty of the year left to get today's targets that might not be the case as the months go by.

Total on list 101

No comments:

Post a Comment